Hail & Wind Damage To My Roof
WHAT CAN STORM DAMAGE DO TO MY ROOF?
Hail and Wind damage is the primary cause of roof damage. Hail Damage to Asphalt Shingles occurs when the shingle suffers granule loss or bruising of the matting. Exposing the organic base center to ultraviolet rays can cause further deterioration of the material, shortening the life by up to 40%. Wind damage will cause the shingle to break the original seal of the shingle. Many homeowners think if the shingle is not missing that they do not have wind damage. This is not the case. Therefore, be sure to have one of our experienced technicians give you your free assessment. Insurance claims are welcome. Call us at 651-528-6898
HOW DOES HAIL FORM? ACCORDING TO THE NOAA…
- Inside of a thunderstorm are strong updrafts of warm air and downdrafts of cold air.
- If a water droplet is picked up by the updrafts…it can be carried well above the freezing level. With temperatures below 32F…our water droplet freezes.
- As the frozen droplet begins to fall…carried by cold downdrafts…it may thaw as it moves into warmer air toward the bottom of the thunderstorm
- But…our little half-frozen droplet may also get picked up again by another updraft…carrying it back into very cold air and re-freezing it. With each trip above and below the freezing level our frozen droplet adds another layer of ice.
- Finally…our frozen water droplet…with many layers of ice – much like the rings in a tree…falls to the ground – as hail!